Monday, February 2, 2009

Who Are These People?

This past weekend my parents along with my boys and I drove to Thomasville, Georgia for my brother’s final basketball game of the regular season.

My youngest brother is a middle school basketball coach there and we all try to make at least one basketball game/tournament per season.

So in typical fashion, the day started out hectic Friday morning, or rather, my day started out that way.

Dropped Nicholas off at school, headed into the office and returned home around 3 p.m. So far, so good right?

Because we were going out of town and Cody had a basketball game out of town, he drove his car home and I dropped him back off at the school. I dropped him off AFTER taking him to Sonic’s for some monster burger full of calories and a quick eyebrow wax at my favorite nail shop.

I returned home did a phone interview, played phone tag with my editor and eventually finished working for the day around 5:30.

My parents arrived thirty minutes later and if was off and continuing to run.

Stopped by Mickey Dee’s, drove about 45 minutes to Cody’s ballgame and cheered like crazy and flirted with a state trooper. I couldn’t help it, he looked and sounded like Vin Diesel. Seriously!!!

After the game, headed for gas and Cody some McDonald’s before making the trek to Georgia.

Mind you this particular city in Georgia is 40 minutes outside Tallahassee, which is easily a four hour drive for most (three for me).

My mother and I have made the ride before, several times and each time the conversation flowed easily but I was a little nervous about throwing my father into the mix.

To be honest, I thought he might fall asleep which would allow my mom and I a chance to get our gossip on. We were looking at a 2 a.m. arrival at the earliest, hell I wanted a nap.

But he survived like a trooper, they both did. More importantly, we ALL gossiped!

I was like WTF?!! I’m am gossiping with my parents AND enjoying it! We were even laughing!

"When did this happen?" "When did they get a sense of humor?"

We discussed everything from the election (come on folks you know Obama-mania is still alive), the birth of the California octuplets, the Super Bowl, Cody’s game and the Young and the Restless.

That was, in a word, cool.

Remember when your parents weren’t human? They were these beings that didn’t understand anything.

Not your fashion style, hairstyle, music, your friends. Not anything!

You thought:

"Of course the "members only" jacket is hot! Are you kidding?"

"What do you mean, you don’t understand the shag haircut?"

"Prince is a musical genius and turning rain purple is very possible, thank you!"

"Why can’t I date him just because he already has two kids and is a high school junior?"

You thought, who are these people and who are they to tell me what to do...and mean it!!

Looking back over this weekend’s drive, I realized those people are ME!

OMG! I’m old!!! LMAO!!!

I’m doing the same thing with my kids, only I’d like to think I’m much cooler.

Although my kids would probably disagree!

Thank goodness they hang with a great group of kids, they're all pretty healthy (at least right now they are), decent students and none of the over-the-top teenage theatrics have taken place.

However, if my three kids turn out as successful, healthy, happy and close knit as my parent’s trio, they will be some blessed youngins!

2 comments:

  1. Funny how our parents' cool factor seems to increase in porportion to our own maturity.

    You're very blessed to have made this discovery. Your kids already know it.

    Grow in grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess when we start aging our parents can really become "cool" people!!!

    ReplyDelete